S’mores Petit Fours
S’more Petit Fours ~ Smores treats from the campfire to your oven. Your childhood camping treat gets stylie with a petit four makeover.
Summertime is here and with that comes my family’s annual trek to Northern Calilfornia. This year we’ve booked a place at Yosemite. By that I mean a real campground. We are trading in the hotel for a tent.
Like a proper foodaholic, my main concern is what the heck are we going to eat. If I was griller, I would welcome this excursion, but I’m not. This is where I solicit you all for some help with outdoor meal making. Ideas anyone?
Luckily, I have dessert under control. I figure if the dinners don’t work out, everyone can still go to bed smiling after a sweet treat. With that, I thought I would get the family ready for some planning (everyones least favorite thing to do in my house) by setting the mood with some of my S’mores Petite Fours.
Now, I was going to make Ms. Martha Stewart’s Smore’s cupcakes but I love all things mini when it comes to dessert, so petit fours first.
A few notes:
1. Trying adding some crushed almonds to your crust for an added kick to flavor.
2. You can bypass the chocolate covering to cut down on the prep time.
3. For a more traditional petit four look, pour chocolate ganache over cut outs.
S’mores Petit Fours
Yields 4 dozen 1 ½ squares
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 8×8 pan with foil.
11/2 cup crushed graham cracker
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
7 tablespoon unsalted butter(melted)
2/3 cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon espresso powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup chocolate
1 tablespoon water
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine graham cracker crumbs with sugar.
2. Add melted butter and blend until combined.
3. Press into pan. Set aside.
1. Sift flour, salt, espresso powder and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In a sauce pan melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove saucepan from heat and add water. Set aside for 5minutes to cool.
4. Stir in sugar, then eggs and vanilla just until combined.
5. Pour filling over crumb layer.
6. Bake 30 minute. Cool completely.
1. Cut into 1 ½ inch squares.
2. Drizzle chocolate over top and place mini marshmallow on top.
3. Pipe small dot on marshmallow.
8. Alternatively, you can cover the Smores Petit Fours with chocolate ganache and then finish up with the latter half of step 2 and then step 3.
Source: Adapted from Flo Baker