Salted Caramel and Chocolate Pretzel Cups
No oven required. This no-bake dessert is as easy as paint by numbers-crush, melt and press your way to a dessert that will have everyone begging for seconds faster than they can say, “Please”.
The salted caramel along with the pretzels provides the needed balance to the sweet richness of the filling. It also gives enough texture and body to the dessert to keep the filling from hitting the roof of your mouth like a dog with a spoonful of peanut butter.
If you are wondering, yes, I have a slight obsession with salted caramel. And as I have previously mentioned, I also have a slight obsession with trying to improve my photography skills. That said, the trend you maybe noticing here is a mini onslaught of salted caramel recipes and a mini dark-shot series.
A few notes:
- I kept this a no-bake recipe, so no need to bake the graham cracker crust. If you decide to bake it for an added crispness, place the pan in the oven for 6-8 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- For a variation check out these Belt Busting Bars that utilize a short bread crust with a peanut butter pretzel filling.
- For another no-bake recipe with this flavor combination check out these Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops.
- The bars can be made a day in advance and refrigerated. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to serving
- You can skip the cupcake liner and use an 8×8 pan.
Chocolate and Pretzel Salted Caramel Cups
Preparation: Line cupcake pan with paper liners | Makes 12 cups
- 12 whole graham crackers, crushed
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 11oz chocolate, melted (65% cacao)
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup salted caramel (recipe follows)
- 2 ½ cups pretzel
- 2 tablespoon fleur de sel
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons of heavy cream
- ½ teaspoons of kosher salt
1. For crust: combine graham crackers, butter and sugar and mix to combine. Press two tablespoons of mixture into each cupcake liner (The crust works just as well unbaked. If you decide to bake it place pan in oven at 350 degrees F for 6-8 minutes.)
2. for filling: Melt chocolate in a pan over (not on) simmering water. Add milk and whisk to combine. Remove chocolate mixture from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Measure out 1/3 cup of chocolate mixture; set aside.
3. Fold crushed pretzels into the chocolate. Pour mixture over graham cracker crust. Pour remaining chocolate on top. To finish, drizzle caramel on top and sprinkle with fleur de sel Place pan in refrigerator to set for at least thirty minutes or overnight.
4. Add sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Use a wet brush to remove any crystals that form on the side. Once sugar has dissolved increase heat to high. Now and then, using the handle give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. Do not stir the mixture directly. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute. As the mixture darkens to a medium amber color, approximately 5-7 minutes, add the butter and cream to saucepan. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine (bubbles will subside upon cooling). Add salt and stir to combine.