Rolo Cheesecake Bars
Need a Rolo recipe? Who doesn’t, right. Well here you go candy addicts. Check out what I did with a bag of mini Rolos. Yes, that’s right you are looking at some Rolo cheesecake bars. That’s a graham cracker crust topped with a caramel cheesecake body. Folded into that caramel rich body are some mini Rolos for a candy fix. Then finishing it all off is a layer of dark bittersweet chocolate with some caramel zig-zagging.
A few days ago I Instagramed a mini bag of Rolos asking you guys what I should do with them. Well I got back Rolo stuffed brownies, but I already did that here. So after eating almost half a bag of them, I realized I better start baking.
Thankfully, the remainder of what was left in the bag made into the pan. Although, I’m sure calorie-wise, I would have been better off just finishing them in the raw—that is, before I wrapped those mini morsels in fat and butter. But seriously, more “fat and butter” makes everything better and this is no exception. Enjoy!
A few notes:
- For a less sweet and deeper caramel cheesecake flavor use homemade caramel sauce as store bought caramel sauce tends to be overly sweet. Click here for a step-by-step picture tutorial to making homemade caramel sauce.
- If you are unable to find mini Rolos, just chop regular Rolos in half. Or for a variation replace the caramel portion with peanut butter and fold in Snickers instead of Rolos.
- To easily cut the cheesecake into bars, heat knife with hot water so that it slightly melts through the chocolate (this will prevent the chocolate from cracking). Clean knife between cuts for clean edges.
Rolo Cheesecake Bars
Makes one 8×8 pan | Preparation: Cover inside of pan with enough foil for a one inch overhang on all sides. Cover foil with bake spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons of butter
- 1 8oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup mini Rolos
- 10oz. chocolate, 65% cacao
- 2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4-5 tablespoon caramel sauce
To make crust
- Place graham cracker crust and sugar in a bowl and toss to combine. Add in melted butter and mix to combine. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool while making cheesecake portion.
To make cheesecake
- Place cheesecake, caramel sauce, sugar, egg and vanilla extract in a bowl and beat until fully combined and smooth. Add in Rolos and fold to combine. Pour mixture over crust and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
To make chocolate layer
- Place alchocolate, corn syrup and butter in a heat proof bowl over (not on) simmering water), gently stir until chocolate is melted and all ingredients are fully combined. Pour chocolate over baked cheesecake.
- Place caramel in a plastic bag and pipe straight lines horizontally across. Use a toothpick and starting at the top drag the toothpick vertically through horizontal lines. Draw second line with toothpick start in the opposite direction (from the bottom of the pan) and drag it vertically from bottom to top of pan. Continue to alternate starting points for the vertical lines drawn with the toothpick.