Banana Split Mini Bites

Banana Split Bites ~ A classic ice cream dessert gets mini for some bite size fun. And yes, there is actually a tiny scoop of ice cream tucked inside and underneath the whip cream of  those little darlings.

Banana Split Mini Bites

Banana Split Mini Bites

For once I made something mini for portion control and not just for the cute factor. My little guy had some friends over the other day and of course with a mom who is a baker, the expectation is dessert will not only be good but it will be fun. And I was asked, by friend Caroline, not to let her boys eat too much dessert.

Keeping all things in mind what I served is what you see here. It was a hit!

Here’s what wasn’t a hit and what I learned.

• Impromptu play dates with four kid’s ages 3-5 year olds after a full work day –not a good idea.
  • Know in advance what other kids will and won’t eat. Hungry kids are cranky kids and some cranky kids bite; so no that is not a new tattoo I’m sporting on my arm.

Luckily, dessert made all things right. The banana split mini bites were fun and having two each seemed to be just enough for each kid.

No recipe just a few notes:

Banana Split Mini Bites How To11

• Use firm bananas and cut into 1 inch sections. Leave the peel on for easy handling, and with a melon baller, dig a well in the middle of each banana section.
  • Melt chocolate in the microwave and dip the bottom portion of the banana in chocolate and then dip it once again in either non-pareils or chopped peanuts. To quickly harden the chocolate, place dipped bananas in the freezer for five minutes.
  • Fill each well with ice cream (I filled mine with vanilla chocolate chip) and top with whip cream and a maraschino cherry.

Grateful Ad: Below Post BTF 728×90

Comments

1. Avatar for Naomi Robinson says

These look so great!!

I LOVE banana splits. I always buy one with good intentions…then I eat about 4 bites and I’m through.

Sigh…I know…I am a banana split loser face.

These, though–I could totally handle.

2. Avatar for Naomi Robinson says

Oh, I love these!!! These will be an absolute hit in our house. We made some frozen, dipped banana pops earlier in the week that were good, but these are even better. Nicely done!

3. Avatar for Naomi Robinson says

Oh my gosh, did someone really bite you??? No more banana splits for him! LOL Seriously cute dessert. I was totally taken with the first photo, then I’m scrolling down and see you actually hollowed them out to fill with ice cream. You are too much. Just awesome.

Naomi replied: — October 4th, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

Hi Michelle,

Yes, I have a nice multi-color bruise from the bite. He’s going through a biting stage. Luckily, he is an otherwise adorable little boy and his mom and I are good friends, so I quickly forgave the assaulter. :)

Naomi

4. Avatar for Naomi Robinson says

this is genius! who’d think to do banana splits bite sized?! love this. all i need to go with this is a tablespoon of vanilla ice cream. x

5. Avatar for Naomi Robinson says

I love the peanut suggestion for the bottom, and I think the use of nuts rather than sprinkles would actually make them chic little desserts for a more adult soiree.

Gorgeous, as usual.

6. Avatar for Naomi Robinson says

AND the best part is this is HEALTHY because it has BANANAS. Haha not sure how well that logic works when it comes to other moms. I personally believe these are the cutest things ever!

7. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonJennifer says

Adorable! I am going to make these for my daughter using So Delicious coconut milk ice cream and Soyatoo whipped topping!

8. Avatar for Naomi Robinsonjess says

lovely i want to make them form my sons 4th bday party next month.i am only wondering if the banana turns a bit black.how long can they be on the table for?

9. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonMary Hughes says

How long will these stay before the banana starts to turn brown?

Chris Brown replied: — November 11th, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

Did you try these? Did the bananas turn brown? I want to try for Thanksgiving?

10. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonSassy says

I love this idea, with the holidays upon us I have seen several ideas using sliced and peeled bananas. Do they begin turning brown, whats the secret to keeping them looking so fresh??

11. Avatar for Naomi Robinson says

Okay, this recipe is genius! Great job! Can’t wait to make these in the future. I don’t eat dairy, but I bet it would be easy to sub the dairy with non-dairy chocolate and whipped cream. Yum.

12. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonMariette says

Hi! What a wonderful and great idea. I’m making a blogpost with all kinds of treats for kids and i would love to share your idea and photo. Could you please let me know if you would be fine with that? Thank you so much!

Mariette replied: — September 14th, 2014 @ 2:21 am

I will of course link to your site for the recipe :)

13. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonJanet Centore says

I want to make these and don’t see any answer on how to stop them from getting brown.?????

14. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonMelissa says

These are a great idea!!! I would love to take these for my daughters birthday surprise!! Do you think I can do the bananas, chocolate and sprinkles add the ice cream then out them in the freezer then take them to school add the whip cream and the cherry?? How do I make sure they don’t turn brown?
    Thanks!!

15. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonSue says

OMG your a genius, just what I have been craving, very dietary if you use chocolate ice cream made totally out of bananas and cocoa, or yogurt, having this for dessert tonite.

16. Avatar for Naomi RobinsonMel says

Hi there… I would like to do these for my kids party. I would have to do it in advance but I am worried about the bananas turning brown. Any tips or suggestions?